Fern Creek High School History

Fern Creek High School: A Tradition Unlike Any Other School in Louisville.

Fern Creek High School is proud of its rich history as a community school, educating thousands of students and generations of families. Fern Creek opened its doors in 1923 with a total enrollment of 25 students in the freshman and sophomore classes as the first high school in Jefferson County. The school was a one-story red brick structure on the corner of Fern Creek and Ferndale Roads and contained four rooms. The first graduating class of 1926 had only six students.
 

The Class of 1927 had 15 students, and each class had its own colors. This second graduating class chose blue and white as their colors. Enrollment had grown so much that a second floor (a principal's office, a library, and four more classrooms) had to be added.

By 1929, a gym (that would also serve as an auditorium) and four new classrooms were completed. In 1932, the colors black and gold were adopted as Fern Creek's colors, and in 1936 the student body chose the present-day colors of orange and black and the fight song. (Our school crest remains black and gold today to honor those original colors).

In 1941, many schools were consolidated with Fern Creek. The once-rural community was developing into a middle class town. Fern Creek High School continued to grow, and after World War II, new construction was added to the campus. Portable buildings were added in 1947-1950. By this time, Valley, Fairdale, Eastern, and Okolona (now Southern) had joined Fern Creek as county high schools.

In the '60s, even more space was needed, resulting in double sessions. In 1973, the original school building (now called the Annex) that had served as Fern Creek High School for more than 40 years was torn down. In 1974, construction of a new facility was completed, which gave Fern Creek High School and Junior High School the capacity to house 2,500 students.

In the '90s, Fern Creek underwent another extensive renovation, with more than $2.5 million used to update and remodel the facilities. In the mid-nineties the school became Fern Creek Traditional High School with a renewed commitment to academic rigor, discipline and parent/community involvement, but in 2015, we returned to our community roots by dropping “traditional” from the school title.

Today, Fern Creek is a thriving, DuFour Award winning, multidimensional school filled with nearly 1800 students from 53 countries speaking over 46 languages. Educators of all walks of life have been intentionally chosen to offer educational opportunities of all kinds to meet our diverse student needs. Fern Creek has adopted the Academy Model which includes Service (Plumbing, Fire Science, Family & Consumer Science, Culinary, Early Childhood, and our nationally renowned Marine Corp Jr ROTC, Technology (Computer Science, Robotics & Automation, and Computer Aided Design/Drafting), and Communications (Cinematography and Film Production, Graphic Design and Management Entrepreneurship).
 

Since 1923, our school has set high expectations for all partners in the educational process - students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni and the Fern Creek community - to help our students achieve their dreams. Fern Creek is unlike any other school in Jefferson County, and we are #FCProud.